Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buy This Comic on Wednesday, July 29, 2009: Northlanders vol. 2: The Cross and the Hammer

Buy This Comic is a new ongoing feature here at I Love Rob Liefeld in which I recommend one comic book -- and one book only* -- arriving on shelves on Wednesday.

This week's pick is:

Northlanders volume 2: The Cross and the Hammer, written by Brian Wood, art by Ryan Kelly, cover by Massimo Carnevale, Vertigo, 144 pages, $14.99

According to the solicitation:
The second NORTHLANDERS collection, featuring issues #11-16, takes place during the tail end of Viking rule in Ireland. A series of mysterious murders and arsons against wealthy citizens leaves the Viking occupiers worried that a potential uprising might ignite. When surprising details involving the crimes are revealed, though, their jobs become much harder! Once again, writer Brian Wood teams with artist Ryan Kelly (Local) for an intriguing, gorgeously rendered peek at the inner workings of society.
I really liked the first collection of this series (it ended up at #6 on my list of the Best Comics of 2008). I'm betting that the second collection also will deliver the goods.

Here's my review of Northlanders volume 1: Sven the Returned and, just for kicks, my review of Wood and Kelly's Local.



*Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment